Room for Refugees is a discrete and confidential hosting network providing safe matching of children, women and men who are refugees/asylum seekers with households in Scotland and the UK.
We receive around 2,500 referrals each year of people at risk of destitution, from our own caseworkers, British Red Cross, Scottish Refugee Council, Freedom From Torture and almost 400 established refugee and asylum advice agencies.
- Provides safe shelter for people seeking refuge and pursuing their legal cases, who do not have recourse to public funds
- Enables those moved by compassion and a sense of justice to offer space in their own homes or properties to someone in need
- Brings hosts together in local networks to make their communities refugee friendly and aware.
Where we operate
We have hosts and caseworkers all over Scotland (mostly Glasgow/Edinburgh) , England (mostly London, Brighton, Manchester, Surrey) and elsewhere across the UK. We are always looking to increase the number of hosts in areas of asylum dispersal. We regularly arrange hosting in cities, towns, and villages across the country.
We also have hosts all over the US and have successfully hosted in Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. We are always looking to partner with refugee organisations in New York City who can help us to screen guests and manage the hosting process.
We offer “respite hosting” so that households living in outlying rural areas can experience the benefits of hosting. And even where hosting is not possible, we are bringing together local Networks of like-minded people to volunteer and support our work.
Why be a host?
It’s about removing the borders from our hearts and our minds. Having a refugee family or individual to stay with you while they try to get their lives back on track is one of the most practical, life-enriching things you can do for yourself and for people who find themselves in a crisis situation.
Our hosts offer breathing space to families and individuals to work out their options, and get paperwork in order, so that they can begin the process of finding work, education, rebuilding their families, their lives and their future.
How to sign-up
- As a “refugee host”, you decide how long you can offer a spare room or property, according to your circumstances.
- We screen all referrals to ensure a safe match with hosts offering a spare room or property.
- Placements can be for as short or as long as you choose.